SAB Meets for Routine Business, Approves Appeal
On December 9, 2019, the State Allocation Board (Board) met to hear routine business and an appeal.
Executive Officer Statement
In her Executive Officer statement, Lisa Silverman provided the following updates:
- Priority Funding Apportionments – At the September 25, 2019 meeting, the Board approved $771.7 million in priority funding apportionments for 193 projects representing 106 school districts. Applicants required to submit a Fund Release Authorization (Form SAB 50-05) must do so by the close of business on Tuesday, December 24, 2019.
- Career Technical Education Facilities Program (CTEFP) – For CTEFP projects that were approved as a reservation of funds, the school districts have 12 months from the Apportionment date to submit the required California Department of Education and/or Division of the State Architect approvals to OPSC, which is September 24, 2020.
- As of November 15, 2019, funds have been released for a total of $387.1 million, which included four projects that did not require a Form SAB 50-05 and 78 of the required 188 Forms SAB 50-05. Additionally, staff is currently processing an additional $44.3 million in fund release requests.
- Current Priority Funding Round – The current priority funding filing period opened on November 13, 2019 and closes on December 12, 2019. Those whose projects received an unfunded approval from July 1, 2019 through December 9, 2019 will have the ability to submit a certification for the Spring 2020 bond sale. Priority funding requests must be received by OPSC before the close of business on December 12, 2019. These requests will be valid from January 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020.
- Sixth Career Technical Education Facilities Program (CTEFP) Filing Round is Open – The Sixth CTEFP Filing Round is open until April 6, 2020. CTE Grant Applications were due to the California Department of Education (CDE) by December 2, 2019. The Application for Career Technical Education Funding (Form SAB 50-10) is due to OPSC on or before April 6, 2020.
- CDE will be providing scores on a flow basis. OPSC encourages all applicants with projects with a score of 105, or higher, to submit the Form SAB 50-10 immediately upon receipt of the CDE’s score letter for the project.
- Facility Hardship Program Regulation Amendments – There will be public stakeholder meetings in January 2020 (dates TBD) to discuss potential amendments to the Facility Hardship Program regulations, related to streamlining the application process, clarifying existing regulations, and other issues. The dates for the meetings will be announced on OPSC’s website and through email blasts as well.
- OPSC Open Data Portal – OPSC has published funding information to the State of California’s Open Data Portal for identifying the distribution of School Facility Program (SFP) funding from all bond sources including Proposition 1A (1998), Proposition 47 (2002), Proposition 55 (2004), Proposition 1D (2006), and Proposition 51 (2016). The data set documents the allocation of funding (updated monthly) for all projects that received an apportionment under the SFP. It is searchable and can be downloaded. Users can access the portal at https://data.ca.gov/.
The Board heard an appeal from McFarland (Kern Co) to present the District’s request to approve a new construction application for funding based on an enrollment period that differs from the enrollment period in which the application was processed. The Board unanimously approved the appeal, noting that it was consistent with past decisions.
School Facility Program Approvals and Workload List
The Board approved Unfunded Approvals (Lack of AB 55 Loans) at the December 9, 2019 meeting worth the following:
New Construction: $12,439,469
The Unfunded Approvals List (Lack of AB 55 Loans) dated October 23, 2019 contains projects worth $721,544,118.
The Workload List dated October 31, 2019 contains projects worth the following:
New Construction & Charter: $1,614,860,864
The Acknowledged List dated October 31, 2019 contains projects worth the following:
New Construction: $517,640,967
The next State Allocation Board meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm.