AB 48 Sent to the Governor
Assembly Bill 48 (O’Donnell) – the Public Preschool, K-12, and College Health and Safety Bond Act of 2020 – has been sent to Governor Newsom for his action. We expect the Governor will sign the bill prior to October 13th (deadline to act on bills) in order to start a campaign.
AB 48 was amended on September 10, 2019 and would place a $15 billion state school facilities bond on the ballot for the March 2020 Statewide Primary Election. In addition to K-12 ($9 billion) and Community Colleges ($2 billion), the bill now includes California State University ($2 billion) and the University of California ($2 billion).
K-12 Programs Funded:
- New Construction at $2.8 Billion
- Modernization at $5.2 Billion
- Lead in Water Testing and Remediation $150 Million (Out of Modernization)
- Career Technical Education at $500 Million
- Charter Schools at $500 Million
The bill also includes:
- Health and Safety Projects
- Disaster Assistance
- Financial Hardship
- Preschools, Kitchens, Health Facilities
- Small School District Assistance
For reference, we are including again the 30,000 foot level summary, to see the changes to current law click this link, then choose “Today’s Law as Amended.” Please click here to view the CASH letter sent to the Senate Education Committee and also delivered to the full Legislature.